debora-bora

life at a glimpse...

Sunday, November 13, 2005

What We Are

"What you are is God's gift to you;
what you do with yourself is your gift to God."

- Danish Proverb

Some days, I wake up with the wings of a gnat. Others, the wings of an Eagle. "Under it all," some days, and above it, the others. The consistency is in the in-consistency. It is the wave of emotions that can seem to direct our paths...that is the same wave we sometimes feel we may drown in. This is why I truly believe that I make a lousy guide for myself. This is what makes me humbly call out to God for direction.

I find that it is just as easy to lose ones' self in a field, as it is in a forest. And what I mean by that, is that unless you are seeking a direction, it doesn't matter where you are...you will be no less lost or found if you are not looking. Unless you get quiet enough to hear God speaking to you...unless you take the time...you will walk aimless no matter where you walk.

Years ago - in the midst of one of the busiest cities in the world (new york), I got really quiet. I prayed with every cell in my being, that God would show me the direction for my life. And in that cramped apartment, in the middle of the night, in the city that doesn't sleep, when I myself wasn't sleeping - but desperately praying - I heard God. And what he told me was this: That I would use my music to help others. That was my gift. That was my purpose.

And so today, when I read the Danish proverb written above, I was reminded of my gifts. Reminded of my direction. Reminded of how blessed I am to have heard God's speaking. And where ever it is I find myself - no matter how chaotic my days get - I know my purpose. I encourage you to get very quiet...And pray...and listen...

Best,
Deborah

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home